October 16 , 2011
Ever heard of Kaenon Polarized? Well prior to me getting an opportunity from our friends at Sullivan Optometry to put their product to real-life field testing, I never heard of them either. Kaenon Polarized is a company that makes high-performance sunglasses for a variety of sports, including water sports (surfing and kite-boarding), snowboarding, beach volleyball, golf, and motor sports (dirt biking and Nascar). Their main competition is industry-giant Oakley who is obviously no stranger to putting their products on athletes of every sport. I’ve worn many different pairs of Oakley’s over the years so I was interested in seeing how these Kaenon’s stacked up. Read on to find out how they did.
Kaenon went out and developed their own, completely new polarized lens material. Their proprietary SR-91 is the only polarized lens that combines the superior optical quality of the finest glass and the lightest weight, strength and impact resistance of polycarbonate. Sounds cool right? I’m kind of techie-geek so I thought it was. Check out their website for all the technical details and products they sell.
Equipment: Kaenon Hard Kore with their SR-91, C12 lens
My engineered test plan: Wear these sunglasses while I train clients or train myself and try to expose them to various weather conditions and lighting. Rate the sunglasses on a 1-10 scale on the following criteria:
- Performance fit
- Lens performance in various weather conditions and lighting
- Wow factor (how many people stopped and asked me about the sunglasses I’m sporting on my face)
Over the last couple of months I put the Kaenon Hard Kore’s through many trials ranging from long-distance road biking, mountain biking, interval track sprinting, Crossfit WOD’s outside, golfing, and driving in the city. I also managed to expose them to various weather conditions from full out raining to 30-degree celsius heat while exercising.
Here are my results:
1. Performance fit: Score = 9
2. Lens performance in various weather conditions and lighting: Score = 8.5
3. Wow factor: = 9
- post a comment on this blog post saying what you look for in a pair of sunglasses (e.g. style, function, performance)
- post on the Sullivan Optometry facebook page what you look for in a pair of sunglasses (e.g. style, function, performance)
- Tweet the following: “I just entered to win $100-off eyewear @sullivanoptmtry with @aagtarap_peng: http://wp.me/p1mmXx-63”