January 17 , 2011

Samantha

no responses

Well, what do you think?  Take our poll and then read on below to find out what experts say.

[polldaddy poll=4399420]

Don’t peek at the answer!

If you chose 80% then you were right.  The other 20% is split between your own genetics and exercise.  It’s amazing that food plays such a significant role in the way we look – truly you are what you eat.  I don’t know where I heard this, but I remember someone saying, if you eat donuts, you’ll look like a donut, which is true.  A diet of donuts will probably make you look round and doughy.  This is not to say that exercise isn’t important – it is, for a whole host of reasons like improving strength, avoiding injury and improving cardiovascular health.  But nutrition is by far the primary factor to consider when you are contemplating changing your physique.

If you find this hard to believe, just read the news.  For the first time in history, children may not outlive their parents due to the explosion of childhood obesity and its associated disease like diabetes.  This is due in part to the prevalence of high calorie, sugar laden foods, and sedentary lifestyle.  There has been all sorts of media attention on school lunch programs and the dangers of foods/drinks containing high fructose corn syrup, although the role of HFCS is debated.  But I digress.

The point of this post was to highlight the role that proper nutrition plays in our health.  If we eat healthy, nutritious foods our body will reward us – skin looks better, you will feel better and have more energy. The hardest thing to do is to make a change.  But one simple change – like eliminating unnatural forms sugar from your diet – can have a positive impact.

Next time: Clean Eating Principles

Leave a Reply