02 Jan Chicken & Wild Rice Salad
I was inspired to make this salad at home after I found a Chicken-Wild Rice-Quinoa salad at my favourite local cafe – Caffe Divano (if you are in the area, go visit them – great coffee and food). Here is my simple and tasty version I made at home.
Serves 2-3 as a main course.
- 2 c. (approximately) cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 apple, cubed
- 3/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 1/2 c. pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 c. wild rice, cooked (or wild rice and quinoa mix)
- 2 -3 handfuls of fresh arugula
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 2 – 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Enjoy this salad warm or cold.
While this recipe calls for cooked chicken, we often don’t have any leftovers so instead I poach two chicken breasts in water (with salt and sometimes herbs) while I’m chopping up the other ingredients. Poaching the chicken breast in a liquid helps them from drying out but you still have to watch that you don’t overcook them – no one like sawdust!
And if you precook the rice and then cool it, you’ll be getting some resistant starch to feed your gut bacteria. Win-win for everyone!